Latest News
New immigrants Apply for a permanent resident card or Canadian citizenship and find out about how to start your life in Canada. Also find out what services are near you to help and what to expect for your first tax year. COVID-19: safety measures Find out if you're affected by coronavirus/COVID-19. Services and information Get a permanent resident card - 24th March 2020  | Work and travel in New Zealand: International Experience Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) An official global travel advisory is in effect: Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. Check the Pandemic COVID-19 travel health notice. Check our Travel Advice and Advisories for more information. If you need financial help to return - 13th March 2020  | Jobs or employers If you have an employer-specific work permit and you want to change jobs or employers, you must apply for a new work permit from inside Canada. However, you don’t need to wait until your work permit application is approved to start your new job or work for a new employer. As always, open work permit holders can change employers at any time - 6th July 2020  | by the travel restrictions. We’ll resume resettling refugees as conditions permit. If you’ve sponsored refugees The Resettlement Operations Centre in Ottawa will contact you if the refugees you’re preparing to receive won’t be travelling. There will be no additional arrivals or new flight bookings until further notice. Individual notices on flight cancellations - 8th July 2020  | in Canada If your study permit doesn’t have work conditions on it How many hours you can work off campus During regular school semesters During scheduled breaks in the school year Who can’t work off campus If your study situation changes Working after you complete your study program If you already applied for a work permit If you’re starting a new study program Who - 10th July 2020  | Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macao SAR Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia (Federated States of) Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro (former Yugoslavia) Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua - 9th July 2020  | uebec villages sponsored the first refugee family to the area, they wanted to help Maykil, Zena and Malak Toma find a new home. What they didn’t expect was the renewed community spirit that would arrive with their new neighbours. Watch their story #ImmigrationMatters in Edmonton, Alberta How a refugee became a role model for vulnerable Edmonton teens - 7th July 2020  | list by province or territory Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Nova Scotia Ontario Prince Edward Island Saskatchewan Province or territory Name City Address on South Nepean Muslim Community (SNMC) Nepean 3020 Woodroffe Ave Nepean, Ontario K2J 4G3 on ShamRose for Syrian Culture Kitchener 202 Dawn Ridge Court Kitchener - 6th July 2020  |

Post Landing Services


Procedure at the Point of Entry POE:

Irrespective of which city we chose to land, the 'landing' per se, is a simple process.

Before disembarking the aircraft, we'll be provided with a 'Disembarkation Card/Form'. We take that form & first go to the 'Passport Control'.


At the Passport Control:

Here we need to inform the Immigration Officer that we have come to do our 'landing'. The Officer will check our Disembarkation Card and our passports & visa. S/he will then direct us to Newly Landed Immigrants' Counter.


At the Immigration Counter:

The Immigration Officer here will scrutinize our Passport/s & COPRs. He would [sometimes may not] ask to see our POF. Most of the times the officer will not count the 'actual' money & accept what we say. But, no false pretensions there.

S/he will then fill some portions of the COPR & ask us to sign it, wherein it'll be attached on our passport. We'll be asked to fill-in the 'PR Card Application Form' & give an address where our PR cards will be forwarded within 3-6 weeks.

Thereby, s/he would 'Welcome us to Canada' and direct us to another office.


At the Services Canada Office:

The Services Canada section is for assisting the Newcomers' settlement moves. Here we'll get lots of books/pamphlets, that'll provide all the crucial info on Canada and our Settlement plan here.

From here will be directed to the CBSA counter.


At the CBSA [Customs] Office:

This is an important location. We are required to present :

  • List of Items Accompanying
  • List of Goods to Follow
  • Currency Declaration [We'd have to 'declare' any amount of $10K or more].

Lists 1, 2 must be brought in 2 copies, one would be retained by CBSA and the 2nd copy will be returned back to us. We'll need the 2nd copy when our shipments come-in.



  • If we are not bringing-in any goods later, we don't need the 'goods to follow list'.
  • At a random the CBSA might 'actually' check the POF here. Thus, no complacency is acceptable.
  • If there are 'jewelry' involved, do not forget to bring 'Printed Photographs' of the same (details later).
  • All the officers are extremely friendly, very understanding, cheerful and helpful. You'll encounter 'Welcome to Canada' many a times.
  • If all the docs are pre-printed & available with us; and there is not much of a queue, you will be out of the airport in about an hour. This includes the walk-distance, baggage collection etc.

Your PR Card application (IMM 5444E) shall be done at the POE itself. It is part of the PR package [free] and the photos & details will be the same as you supplied for the PPR.


Delivery of PR card


Our PR Card/s come back to us via regular post mail, in 3-6 weeks, avg. 4 weeks.


It is ‘advisable’ to stay in Canada for at least 45 days, collect our PRC and then return back [if you must].


If you leave the country before it arrives, you’ll have to make arrangements for its collection & forward delivery to you, overseas, through a friend/relative [Not a Recommended Action]. But there is a danger of losing it in transit. And if that happens, we’ll have a tedious process to get new ones made.




The PR Card (and COPR) is probably the ‘most important’ document after we are through with our PR application process. It is valid for 5 yrs.

First time: Free; Renewals cost $50/card.

It is not recommended to mail or courier your PR Card to a location outside Canada. The reasons are:


  1. 1. The card could be lost
  2. 2. The card could be stolen
  3. 3. Your identity could be stolen if a dishonest person gets hold of your PR Card while enroute
  4. 4. Factors beyond your control could significantly delay the delivery of the card (i.e. service strike, strife, etc.)


Further, CIC representatives have stated there is an understanding between Canada Post and CIC that if a PR card is found to be internationally bound, then they have the right to intercept and return it to CIC.

Also, there is a chance that the customs officials at the other end may seize the mail for whatever reason.

If you send the card outside of Canada, you do so at your own risk.



Procedure Of PR Card Application:

PR Card application form


here are three options provided by IRCC to change address.


1. You may use this online service to change the address -

2. If that form does not work for some reason, you may use the IRCC Webform

3. Alternatively, you may call the CIC Call Center, but this option can only be used AFTER you have already moved in to your new address.

Their contact number is : 1-888-242-2100



All Canadian citizens, newcomers and temporary residents who want access to government programs or who want to work in Canada are required to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) - a unique number that identifies each individual.

After ‘landing’ you’ll have to visit the nearest Services Canada Office for the SIN Card.

You get the SIN No. immediately as a ‘print-out’ -signed & stamped upon applying, the same day, the same time.

The SIN number would be required for all your further activities in Canada, viz Job Search, Bank a/c, House Hunting etc.


Applying for a SIN is easy to do through Service Canada with the following documentation:


  • Landing Papers or PR Card
  • Passport



  • A SIN is issued to one person only and it cannot legally be used by anyone else.
  • You are responsible for protecting your SIN. Store any document containing your SIN and personal information in a safe place—do not keep your SIN with you.



Social Insurance Number – Overview


Completing the customs questionnaire


You have two methods to do so:


1. Complete the paper landing card handed over in-flight or

2. You can download the CanBorder app and create a customs questionnaire ready for you.


Process to generate QR code from the app:


While creating your profile you need to select non-citizen and non-PR option and then purpose should be immigrate.

Then proceed to complete the few straight forward questions in the app to generate the QR code. Remember that this QR code is valid only for 24 hours and works in the flight mode too so only generate it in your last flight to Canada.


Generate your customs receipt


Scan the QR code generated by this app and then scan your passport. Then look at the camera so that the machine will take your photo. Please note that this is an unmanned kiosk so follow the instructions that the machine gives.

Keep this receipt handy with you till you leave the airport because it's needed when you leave the airport.


Pass Customs


Customs officer will check your receipt, passport and boarding pass. He will ask you if you have any baggage to follow, if not then he'll just mention NBTF on the receipt and mark the receipt with a pink cross and tell you to proceed to the counter to the immigration counter for immigration formalities.



After you have reached your destination, it is recommended that you buy a local SIM Card.

The important thing to note here is that you would need mobile data here to browse the internet or use Google Maps once you are outside the free Wi-Fi zone of any public place like malls etc.

You also need to carry a phone which is 4G compatible. That is the minimum requirement here because mobile data connection on 3G phone would be too slow. In short, on any 4G compatible phone of India, you can use 3G network here and it would work very well.

One can always port to other providers depending on your requirement and that too without changing the number.


1. Completing the customs questionnaire

You have two methods to do so :


a. Complete the paper landing card handed over in-flight or

b. You can download the CanBorder app and create a customs questionnaire ready for you.

Process to generate QR code from the app:

While creating your profile you need to select non-citizen and non-PR option and then purpose should be immigrate.

Then proceed to complete the few straight forward questions in the app to generate the QR code. Remember that this QR code is valid only for 24 hours and works in the flight mode too so only generate it in your last flight to Canada.


2. Generate your customs receipt

Scan the QR code generated by this app and then scan your passport. Then look at the camera so that the machine wil…

After you have reached your destination, it is recommended that you buy a local SIM Card.

The important thing to note here is that you would need mobile data here to browse the internet or use Google Maps once you are outside the free Wi-Fi zone of any public place like malls etc.

You also need to carry a phone which is 4G compatible. That is the minimum requirement here because mobile data connection on 3G phone would be too slow. In short, on any 4G compatible phone of India, you can use 3G network here and it would work very well.

One can always port to other providers depending on your requirement and that too without changing the number.


There are 3 options to reach your destination from the airport

A. Hire a taxi from the airport - Most expensive

B. Book a cab from a ridesharing app like Uber or Lyft


Use our affiliate link below to install the app, and get free bonus ride credits. (Offer subject to change)



C. Pre-book a car from the following operators. Call/WhatsApp them in advance to get a confirmation


Name - Number


? If you are coming with a lot of luggage, Porter service is available at the airport. For first 3 bags it’s $10, and $2 for each additional bag. You may have to pay some tip as well
? Gate C- Limousine as well as SUVs
Gate D- Taxi as well SUVs
Additional $15 if luggage is more.


Finding a Place to Live

Finding an appropriate place to live in a new country is a challenging task, hence making an early start on arranging accommodation will make the process of arrival smoother.


Options to find accommodation include:


  • House or apartment for rental accommodation can usually be found via
  • Hotel or motel rooms can be found at, or
  • Home of friends and family.


Buying a Home

Buying a home is one of the biggest emotional and financial decisions you'll ever make in Canada. Prepare by learning about the process of home buying and the responsibilities of homeownership. The differences between renting and buying a home are vast, and there's a long list of pros and cons for both options. And, remember - there is no one best decision for everyone. So, the best way is to research, research and more research before you make a final decision to purchase you first home in Canada.



Please see the ‘Classifieds Section’ for recommended contacts and other beneficial information.





Once you find your accomodation you can book your furniture from Furniture Bank ( such as . You can get recycled furniture for a cheap rate.


Newcomers can get free bed/beds through Catholic Family Service ( you just need to book an appointment for them through any newcomers centre ( The catholic service people also guide you to fill the GST/HST forms and Trillium benefits forms where you can get some money from the government every month and once in 3 months if you are falling under income in your home country comparing to the Canadian income level.


For Furniture bank, you will have to register and between 30-60 days you will receive the furniture.

Furnitures from the Furniture Bank are donated by firms, business establishments, etc.


There are a few furniture banks in the GTA region

  • Scarborough
  • Mississauga
  • Toronto


You need to have a Mississauga address to apply at Mississauga branch, likewise, you need to an address at Scarborough or Toronto to apply at their respective branches.


With a view to have enough money in the first three months here is a list of expenses mentioned below.

Cost mentioned below is per person monthly, in the GTA region

  • Rent - Depends from 1000 to 1600 per month.
  • Deposit - Minimum is first and last months rent
  • Licence : 159
  • Driving class - 35$ per hour
  • Insurance medical - 275
  • Grocery - Initial 200 and then 150-200
  • Mobile connection : 75 initial then 50
  • Travel pass: ~150. depends where you stay
  • Day care: 1200-2500

It is advisable to research and compare different banking packages and select the banking package that is right for you. Certain banks offer free services and incentives for newcomers for example, secured/unsecured credit card without credit history, free safety deposit box, fee waivers, automobile roadside assistance, etc.

Besides, you can also open a Canadian Bank a/c from your home country [only certain countries such as India, UAE] through Scotiabank, SBI etc.

At the bank, they will open two accounts in your name. One would be Chequing Account and the other will be a Savings Account.

Please note that here the system is different than that in India.

Here Chequing Account is similar to Savings Account in your home country. You can easily deposit and withdraw money from it. It is for your day to day transactions. Whenever you give your account number to someone, it is of Chequing Account. Whenever you transfer money to someone in Canada or pay bills etc., it will be through your Chequing Account only.

Savings Account is like a deposit box/locker. You just keep the money in it and if at all required, you transfer it to Chequing Account. The bank will not give you any interest on the money you keep in the Chequing account.

The bank will give you two cards. One is the debit card which they give immediately. The other is the credit card which they send to your Canadian address via post. As far as debit card is concerned, it is similar to debit card of India. Once you get it, you set the PIN and use it at ATM, shops etc.

You get the credit card at your address after a week or so. Once you get the credit card, you need to activate it on the number given with the card. After activation, the bank will send you the PIN of credit card through post. This will again take around a week. Once you have both the card and PIN, you can use it anywhere just as you did in India.

Please note that in Canada, you will be encouraged to use your credit card more (from shopping to paying bills to anything you can imagine) so as to create a credit history in your name which will help you in future to get loans, buy car, house etc. Use debit card rarely. Create Credit History and this goes without saying that you do not default on credit card payment. Do not eat food or sleep but pay Credit Card bill on time.
Once your accounts are opened, you have got the debit card and applied for credit card then you can go and deposit proof of funds in your Chequing Account.


Choose the paper statement of your bank account to be sent by post to the Ontario address. This will become your proof of three months spent in Ontario which is necessary to get OHIP (Ontario health insurance).

*ICICI Bank offers one of the cheapest a/c charges. But unfortunately, both ICICI & SBI have very limited presence in Canada.

Please note that here the banks charge you some amount on the basis of number of transactions, be it debit card, credit card or net banking. All of this will be explained to you by the bank official.

Last but not the least, during the time of opening the account, ask the bank to send paper statement of the 1st month of your transactions to your Canadian address. The statement contains your local address and will serve as proof of address when you apply for the health card.

TD has the most ATM's across Canada




Canadian taxes, while necessary, can seem complicated and overwhelming. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) offers free online courses for individuals who are not familiar with the income tax system. These provide a basic understanding of Canadas income tax system, explain how to complete a simple tax return and will answer many of your tax related questions. Also, the CRA website has a lot of information about completing income tax and benefit returns. If you are unable to complete your income tax and benefit return by yourself, the free Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) may be for you.



Please see the ‘Classifieds Section’ for recommended contacts and other beneficial information.





Steps for Ontario DL:

  • Walk-in to Drivetest center with your DL extract, Indian DL, Passport, Landing papers/PR card, Credit Card/Cash, Pen, eyewear (if any) and Patience.
  • Take a token number for G1 test and wait for your turn.
  • Your documents will be verified, eye test and payment of 105.75 (for direct G eligibility) + 89.25 (Class G Road Test) or 158.25 (for G2 eligibility as well as G2 Road Test).
  • Appear for test: 20 questions each, 2 sections (Road Signs and Road Situations). You can prepare for that well in advance using G1 Genius (G1 Genie app). 75-85% questions are almost the same. You need 16/20 correct in each of the test.
  • If you pass, you will be given paper based G1 license, valid for 90 days. The photo license, you'll get in the post. You can start taking driving lessons from an approved instructor in the meanwhile. (30$ to 40$ per lesson ranging from 45-60 mins).
  • Book for a G or G2 test, you'll need a car for test, usually people take instructor's car. So plan accordingly with them.
  • . If you book G ($89), waiting is almost 30-45 days. As and when slots open before it, you can reschedule.
  • Appear for G road test, if you clear, you can drive without restrictions.


PS: Furnishing DL extract with 3+ years driving experience, allows you to skip the G2 road test requirement and give G directly (single try, if you don't clear, you will have no option but to appear for G2 and then later for G).



Visit the DriveTest center at least 1 hr before closing to make sure you are able to register and give the test in the same day. Else they will just register you and ask you to come on another day



Please see the ‘Classifieds Section’ for recommended contacts and other beneficial information.



For more details on Fees:


A Health Card is required to use provincial healthcare services covered by OHIP, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. All Canadian residents are covered for major medical and hospital costs by provincial health insurance programs.

A Health Card is provincial. It is not Federal. Thus, if you change provinces, you’ll have to reapply for that province’s Health Card. And again the waiting period* shall apply. Off course, a previous province’s health card remains valid for few days/months in another province, but not all benefits could be availed.


To apply for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), you will need to visit any Service Ontario office with -

  • Your physical PR card
  • Any photo ID as Address Proof ( Driving license/Credit Card Statement, etc.)
  • Filled out OHIP Application form available at -
    (note: you can also fill out this form at Service Ontario, they are available there)


It's a fairly straightforward process once you're there. It took me around 10mins.

  • The person at the desk re-checks your application form against your originals and fills up the official part on the form.
  • Once all fine, you'll be asked to sign the application form.
  • Next take a pic and sign another card provided


You will receive a confirmation of your application along with the date on which your OHIP will be valid from ( i.e. beginning from 3months of your date of landing)

First 3 months you do not get medical coverage in Ontario. But While you are waiting for your Health card, you might be able to get certain free health care services at Community Health Centers (CHC). CHCs are non-profit organizations that provide primary health care for individuals, families and communities.



The Waiting Period:

Alberta [e.g. Calgary, Edmonton etc.] & Manitoba [e.g. Winnipeg] are the Only provinces where there is NO WAITING period for the Health Insurance. Rest in all provinces there is some waiting time to get the Health Benefits. In Ontario [e.g. Toronto, Ottawa etc.] it is 3 months.

E.g.: If Calgary Is My Destination Should I Get The H/Card In Toronto?

If Calgary is your Final Destination, but you are ‘initially’ landing in Toronto for a few days stay, I suggest you should first land in Calgary, get the health card and then visit Toronto. Why? Mainly because, you can get the Calgary health card immediately, but in Toronto you’ll not. That Calgary health card will be valid in Toronto for a few days. Not the vice-versa. Secondly, if you land first in Toronto, you’ll be staying w/out any health coverage, and may want to get insurance coverage from a private insurance provider



Once you receive your health card you can register with a doctor in your area:


Most childcare centers have both regular, full-fee and subsidized spaces for families that qualify.
Search for child care listing in your area.


Regardless of which province you live in, your children will have the same access to education. To enroll your children in school, you will need their birth certificate and other identification (such as their Record of Landing, Permanent Residence Card, or Passport). You may also be asked to bring immunization records and past academic and health records. The majority of Canadian children go to public schools. You can enroll your children at the local public school at no cost. To find out which schools are closest to you please visit the below website.


Council of Ministers of Education, will provide you with an overview of the education system in Canada. As well, every school has an academic standing. It is important to look at the ratings of schools in your area and then decide which schools are best for your children.


Gifted Programs:

Private Schools allow gifted students to realize their potential in an environment that can meet their unique needs. Gifted programs typically offer more intensive curricula and heavier workloads than other schools. This advanced education will give your son or daughter an advantage with post-secondary education. Many universities and colleges look favorably at students from gifted programs. The academic rigor of these schools also prepares students for university, where your child will be a step ahead of others.



School Websites:

Each province [& some cities] has its own ‘school District Board’. All information can be viewed in those websites


The Canada child tax benefit is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18.


You can use Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application, if any of these situations apply:

  • your child is born
  • a child starts to live with you
  • you are a new resident of Canada
  • you did not already apply using the Automated Benefits Application or My Account


What you need to do

  • Fill out and sign Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application.
  • Mail the completed form to your tax centre.
  • you are a new resident of Canada
  • you did not already apply using the Automated Benefits Application or My Account


When do you have to provide supporting documents with your application?

You must fill out more forms or provide supporting documents with your Canada Child Benefits Application if:

  • you share custody of a child no need IF YOU A NEW PR
  • you need to provide proof of birth


You must provide proof of birth with your application if the CRA has never paid benefits for this child and either of the following situations apply:

  • the child was born outside Canada
  • the child was born in Canada but is more than a year old
  • your application is for a period that started more than 11 months ago
  • you or your spouse or common-law partner are a new or returning resident or citizen of Canada


You must complete Schedule RC66SCH, Status in Canada/Statement of Income and include it with your application if either you or your spouse or common-law partner:

  • became a new resident or returned as a resident of Canada in the last two years
  • became Canadian citizens within the last 12 months


You also have to fill out and attach Schedule RC66SCH, if you or your spouse or common-law partner are, as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act:

  • a permanent resident - CoPR
  • a protected person (refugee)
  • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months
  • not a Canadian citizen, but are an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act


By mail

To sign up for direct deposit, follow these steps:

  • Fill out the Canada Direct Deposit enrolment form.
  • Mail the completed form to the address on the form.


You change your address

You need to tell us your new address if you move. Your benefit and credit payments may stop if you do not. This is the case even if you use direct deposit and your bank account does not change. See how to change your address.

Call 1-800-959-8281

  • your social insurance number or business number;
  • your name or business name;
  • your complete address or complete business address;
  • for individual accounts, your date of birth;


Mail or fax
Send one of these to your tax centre:

  • a completed Form RC325, Address change request
  • a signed letter that includes your social insurance number, new address, and moving date


You should have a Bank Account or SIN

You will be sending the below documents to the nearest Tax Center

  • COPR



Sudbury Tax Centre, PO Box 20000 STN A, Sudbury ON P3A 5C1



Child benefit entitlement and calculation


Entitlement -

1. Gross Family income less than 30000 CAD gross.

Benefit Per child paid in consecutive year in your bank account.

2yr - 18yr : 5400 CAD per year
0yr - 2yr : 6400 CAD per year


2. The Family income is in between 30000 CAD to 65000 CAD.

2-18yr/0-2yr : 5400/6400 CAD minus 7% if one child and 13.5% if 2 children.

E.g. Say income is 40000 CAD (one child)
7% of (40-30k) = 700 CAD
So, the benefit is 5400-700=4700 CAD per year.


3. Gross family income Above 65000 CAD

2-18yr/0-2yr : 5400/6400 CAD minus 7% + 14% (FOR 1 CHILD) AND 13.5% + 6.5% (FOR 2 CHILDREN)

E.g. Say income is 75000 CAD (one child)
7% of (65-30k) = 2450 CAD
14% of (75-65k) = 1400 CAD
So, the benefit is 5400-(2450+1400) = 1550 CAD per year.





What if I need to travel back immediately after landing in Canada?


As per IATA & CBSA regulations, we cannot enter Canada w/out a PRC. However, if we are entering thru a Border Post by road, it doesn’t matter -our COPR is enough for entry/exit. But, if we are traveling by an airline & boarding/entering thru an a/port we will Not be Permitted. At the embarkation port itself we will be Stopped by the airline staff.


The process in such cases is to apply for a ‘PRTD-A31 (3)’ [Temporary ‘PR Travel Document’] at the local CHC [abroad]. It costs $50 CAD. Details of it is provided at the ‘Manual for Permanent Resident Card’ (ENF 27).


Procedure for PRTD

Download and fill below forms



1. original passport
2. passport copies
3. 2 photos – 50 x 70


Fees (All in INR)

1. Visa fees 50 CAD for per applicant ( has to be paid online and take the receipt along with you while submitting)
2. VFS service charges – 797/-
3. Courier 397/-
4. SMS – 50/-



25 working days



Follow the steps below only after you have landed. It gives you 5 attempts in one day.

1) Login to CIC account
2) Go to section Link an existing application to this account. Click on Link application to this account button
3) Select category as PR Card
4) Select Unique Client Identifier (UCI) and Family Name
5) Fill required details (please make sure capital, small, comma etc.)
6) Provide landing date in Date you became a permanent resident
7) Click on search my application.
8) After application searched make sure you submit application else it will not be linked.
One you have successfully linked your application it will show you as Submitted status. Once it is ready for dispatch it will go into Approved status. If you receive any photo request then it will not change status.



Regularly check PR card processing time on CIC website as photo request or PR card approval both come in last 5-10 days (i.e. if processing time is 63 days then after 55 days you will be able to see some movement.)



When you first come to Ontario you may have to take a job that is outside your field. Research your options. As a worker in Ontario, you have rights.


Survival Jobs

Your first job in Ontario or anywhere in Canada may be a survival job - something just to pay the bills. Typical survival jobs include cashier, customer service representative, factory worker, taxi driver or data entry operator. You may wish to take a survival job because you can get some Canadian work experience, practise your language skills and build your network within your profession or trade.


Temporary jobs

Another way to get work experience, to gain insight into a job or field and, of course, to get a pay cheque, is to apply for a temporary job. This involves registering with an employment or temporary agency that will find you jobs with other companies. Some agencies focus on placing people in specific fields, such as technology, office assistance or security. Some agencies place you in long-term jobs. Sometimes temporary positions can lead to a full-time job with the company. You can register with many agencies at once. Research an agency carefully before registering with them and keep a copy of any contracts. You can find a list of agencies from the Association of Canadian Search, Employment & Staffing Services or The Directory of Canadian Recruiters.


Alternative Jobs

As it may take a long time to get your licence for your profession or trade, you might want to work in a non-regulated job in your field first. For example, a registered nurse could look at working as a nurse’s aide, a personal support worker(PSW) or a health educator. This can be a good way to use your skills and get Canadian work experience. Settlement.Org has a section on alternative jobs for various health care and other professions.


Your Rights as an Employee

The Employment Standards Act(ESA) covers wages, overtime, hours of work, eating periods, public holidays, vacations and leaves, and termination pay. If you have been laid off or have to leave work because of pregnancy or sickness, you might qualify for Employment Insurance benefits. If you get injured on the job, you might be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. If you are having a problem at work, you can speak to someone about it by calling the Ministry of Labour at 1-800-531-5551 or the Workers’ Action Centre at 416-531-0778.



Please see the ‘Classifieds Section’ for recommended contacts and other beneficial information.







Canada Business Network:


Mentoring :


Professional Immigrant Networks :


Planning to work in Canada - An essential workbook for newcomers : - national.pdf


Winning Résumés : - advice/winning - resumes/



What is OSAP

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a financial aid program that can help you pay for college or university.


OSAP offers funding through two kinds of money:

1) Grants: money you don’t have to pay back

2) Student loan: money you need to repay once you’re done school


When you apply for OSAP, we automatically consider you for both grants and loans. If you don’t want to take a loan, you can decline it after your application is approved.

There are also programs to help you repay your student loan once you’re done school. Full-time students may be eligible for free tuition.

To be eligible for OSAP, Ontario must be the last province in which they resided for 12 consecutive months without being a full-time postsecondary student.

If they lived in another Canadian province or territory within the last 12 months, they must contact that province’s or territories student assistance program to determine eligibility for assistance. Exceptions can apply so if in doubt, they should contact the Financial Aid Office of the college or university they plan to attend, or call the OSAP toll free line if they attend or plan to attend a post-secondary school outside of Ontario (1-800-387-5514).

For Student Assistance Programme in other provinces, check



The act of incorporating creates a new legal entity called a corporation, commonly referred to as a “company.” A corporation has the same rights and obligations under Canadian law as a natural person.


No matter where you choose to incorporate, incorporation offers many benefits to your business, including:

  • Creation of a separate legal entity
  • Limited liability
  • Lower corporate tax rates
  • Better access to capital and grants
  • Continuous existence.


To register as a corporation, you will need to:

  • Incorporate your business (obtain your articles of incorporation) through federal incorporation or provincial/territorial incorporation
  • Get a federal business number and Corporation income tax account from the Canada Revenue Agency
  • Register as an extra-provincial or extra-territorial corporation in all other Canadian jurisdictions where you plan to do business
  • Apply for any permits and licences your business may need


Steps to incorporating

Step 1: Deciding how you want to name your corporation

There are two types of companies: (No difference in the two, except name of the company)


A. Numbered Company

  • Takes 1 business day to incorporate
  • Government fees: $200
  • E.g.: 12345678 Canada Inc.


B. Named Company

  • Takes 1 to 2 business days to incorporate
  • Government fees : $200
  • Name search report: $14
  • E.g.: NiceNameCompany Inc.


If you choose Named company: Pay $ 13.80 and get a nuans report following the steps


mentioned in the link below:

P.S. For numbered company ignore the above.


Step 2: Completing articles of incorporation


1) Input your contact information
2) If Named company, write the proposed name.
3) Input Additional details as applicable
4) Input Province, Class of shares, Restrictions on shares: (Normally none)
5) Restrictions: None / Other provisions: None / Add yours and your spouse name for Incorporators (if you want both of you onboard)
6) Download the Articles, check for Spelling mistakes and all other information, save a copy


Step 3: Establishing the initial registered office address and first board of directors

Step 4: Filing the appropriate forms and paying the fee

Step 5: Processing your application

Step 6: Completing provincial and territorial registration and other requirements


You will have to register for Province in each you will provide Services, this is required to decide your jurisdiction of taxes: Please follow the steps and fill up the same information of registered office / Directors / You can add yourself as Chief Officer



Please see the ‘Classifieds Section’ for recommended contacts and other beneficial information.


Links Steps to Incorporating :-



So you are in the situation that you want to sponsor your foreign spouse for permanent residency of Canada and don't know where to start.

Here are some tips:


Married, common law or conjugal partners

First you need to pick an application class.


There are three of them: married, common-law and conjugal. For all of them, you need to prove the genuineity of your relationship.

For common-law, you need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months or longer.

For conjugal, you need to prove that you have combined your affairs as much as possible but there are real immigration barriers or other barriers preventing you from living together or getting married. Conjugal is the hardest to prove. For example, if your partner could get a visit visa to come to Canada for 6 months and then apply for an extension to get the full year, even though they will not be allowed to work, that is not considered an immigration barrier.

An immigration barrier is if your partner tries to get a visit visa to come to Canada and is repeatedly refused. Some people have had luck with the conjugal class but try to avoid it if possible.

Outland or inland?


Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland.

If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here:

After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality.

You can see the processing times here:

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland.

Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it's being processed.

Inland has the downside that it's generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone.

If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months.

The current processing times can be seen here:

Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment.

Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two.

If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it's tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better.

Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine.

It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing.

Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.

Dependent children

If your spouse has dependent children, they must be included in the PR application, even if they are not coming to Canada.

They will need to have medicals as well to keep the option open to sponsor them later. The only way that immigration will accept the application without those medicals is if the children are no longer minors and refuse to have it or if the children are in the full custody of their other parent who refuses to make them available for medicals. In that case, your spouse needs to sign a statement stating that they know that they will never be able to sponsor these children to Canada in the future.

Dependent children are classified as single and either under 22 years of age or if they are older, they must have been full time students since before age 22 or dependent on their parent due to a disability or medical problem.

Refusals due to income and medicals

You will be asked to provide information about your income but you will not be denied to sponsor your spouse and dependent children because you do not make enough money. It is possible though that if you make absolutely no money at all that immigration may ask you how you plan to support yourselves.

Spouses and dependent children are also exempt from the clause about excessive demand on health care so you do not have to worry about them being refused for that reason.

Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.

If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused.

Links :

You can find the application forms for inland at :

and the application forms for outland at :


Below are tips to help you save money when you shop:
Check your local paper and online flyers for coupons and bargain deals

Some super markets like Walmart, No-Frills, Superstore and Food Basics etc. have price-matching programs where they match the price of items from other stores if you show them a flyer or coupon from the other store. Many super markets provide special offers and rewards during special events and holiday promotions.

If you have a large family, or for initial expenses, you can take Costco membership (60$ CAD) and save on your daily shopping expenses.

Alternatively, you may also accompany a friend who already has membership until you get your own.

Use the ''Flipp'' app to compare local flyers



Those in Toronto: Can visit nearest “Toronto Public Library”, and get your free Library Card.

For those in other provinces can look up your learest library at

Carry Canadian Photo Id or Indian Passport for identity and one local address proof.


Its very resourceful and we can even get free passes for museums or Toronto Zoo (Limited Number of passes are distributed per week)

We can borrow books/Movie DVD/eBooks (up to 50 at a time) for 21 days.

They have free Wi-Fi/Scanner and printer/photocopy Service are chargeable.


And, this is where one can apply for a Toronto Library Card -


The Goods and Services tax/Harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low or modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay. Generally, GST/HST credit payments are made in July and October of the year you apply, and in January and April of the following year.



The Ontario trillium benefit is a refundable tax credit to assist low-income families. It combines three tax credits into one single payment: the Ontario energy and property tax credit, the Ontario sales tax credit, and the Northern Ontario energy credit.

Are you eligible for the Ontario Trillium Benefit?

You can claim the Ontario trillium benefit if you are eligible for the Ontario energy and property tax credit, the Ontario sales tax credit, or the Northern Ontario energy credit.
You may choose whether you want to be paid monthly or annually. When you are paid monthly, you receive your payment earlier, but when you are paid annually, you are paid one lump sum at the end of the benefit year. If your benefit is less than $360, you do not have the option of being paid monthly; you are paid annually in July. File your tax return on time by April 30 or your trillium benefit payments may be delayed.

How Do You Receive the Ontario Trillium Benefit?

  • File your tax return to claim the Ontario trillium benefit, even if you do not have any income.
  • Complete Form ON-BEN (Application for the Ontario Trillium Benefit and the Ontario Senior Homeowners Property Tax Grant). If you forget to include the ON-BEN with your tax return, you may file an adjustment to your return via CRA My Account or mail.
  • Apply for the trillium benefits every tax year. Your eligibility is based on your family net income from the previous tax year. Your eligibility may change because of differences in your family net income, your place of residence, your age or your family status.




Credit rating is an evaluation of the credit worthiness of an individual. The evaluation is made by a credit rating agency and is based on the individual's ability to pay back a debt and likelihood of default.

Evaluations of an individuals' credit worthiness are known as credit rating and are done by credit bureaus, or consumer credit reporting agencies, which issue credit scores. Having a credit card or a line of credit can be a great way to manage your expenses.

These products will also help you build your credit rating in Canada. A strong credit rating will help you when you wish to get a loan for a car or when you apply for a mortgage, ensuring you get competitive rates.

However taking on too much debt and not meeting your payment obligations will have a negative impact on your credit rating.

Credit score matter a lot in Canada. So it's better to use credit card sooner rather than using a debit card or cash payment.

Paying bills on time is the key to have good credit score.

The most important thing to remember is how to boost and manage your credit score. Your credit score will determine how easily you can get a loan from the bank and much more, buying gadgets on contract is another example. Also maintaining a great credit score and good banking habits will result in low-interest rates. First thing for boosting your credit score is building monthly spending habits where you track how much your spendings are and manage it by allocating x amount for savings every month and stay consistent and rest for your expenditure (If you are a family, then distribute your spendings accordingly).

Next important thing is utilizing 50% of credit card only and pay only after your statement is being generated. It is difficult if you are new but if you do that, you will gain your credit score and credit history over a period of time.

Important: Whenever you get a call asking for a credit increase, always ask if it is pre-approved. If not that will result in your credit hit. Since you are new, most likely you won’t get the increase and the enquiry will be wasted. Also , if possible don’t take stores’ own credit cards like Walmart and other superstores.

Below are a few free sites for checking credit score and reports.:


  • Free
  • Access to: Credit Score and report, payment history, credit card limits, loans, mortgages, car installments, list of hard inquiries
  • Update frequency: Weekly
  • Credit Bureau: TransUnion

Borrowell/CIBC App

  • Free
  • Access to: Credit Score and report, credit card limits, loans, mortgages, car installments, list of hard inquiries
  • Update frequency: Quarterly
  • Credit Bureau: Equifax

  • Free
  • Access to: Credit Score only
  • Update frequency: Monthly
  • Credit Bureau: Equifax

Checking the above sites yourself won’t impact your credit score (since it will be a soft inquiry).



There are 3 ways to bring your parents/grandparents to Canada:

1. As a regular visitor (TRV)

They have to apply as a visitor complying with all requirements of them most important being showing evidence of ties to home country, which convinces the officer that they will indeed return back after their intended visit before or within the legal period allowed for the stay. This may be single entry or multiple entry on the discretion of the Visa officer and their period of stay will be decided by the border officer on arrival.

If no period of stay is indicated by the border officer then it is 6 months from the date of entry. This can be further extended for another period of 6 months by way of application applied 4 weeks before the expiry of the earlier stay period.

Insurance is not mandatory but recommended.

2. On a Super Visa
The application process is similar to that for a regular TRV. However, additional documentation is required to ensure that the parents and grandparents will be well supported during their time in Canada. There is a minimum income requirement of the applicants children in Canada, that needs to be shown at the time of the application.

The complete list of documents the parent or grandparent must provide is as follows:
i) A letter of invitation from their child or grandchild residing in Canada;
ii) One of the following documents to prove that the child or grandchild meets income requirements:

  • Most recent copy of the notice of assessment (if the child or grandchild does not have a paper copy of their notice of assessment on file, they can view and print their tax returns using the CRA My Account online service
  • Most recent copy of the child or grandchild’s T4 or T1 Original letter from the child or grandchild’s employer stating their job title, job description and salary
  • Child or grandchild’s employment insurance pay stubs


iii) Proof of the applicant’s parental relationship to the child or grandchild (e.g., a copy of the child or grandchild’s birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official document naming the applicant as the parent)
iv) Proof of private medical insurance valid for a minimum of one year with a Canadian insurance company (a copy of the insurance certificate or policy) that covers health care, hospitalization and repatriation, provides a minimum coverage of $100,000, and is valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by a port of entry officer.

The maximum validity for the multiple entries Super Visa is ten years, or one month prior to the applicant’s passport’s expiry, whichever is earlier. Within that time, Super Visa holders can remain in Canada for periods of up to two years. In comparison, a regular visitor visa is usually valid for a maximum period of six months. For individuals who are citizens of visa-exempt countries, the Super Visa program can still be useful because of that two-year period.


3. Parents Grand Parents PR Visa (PGP) :-


This Family Class sponsorship program includes a stream for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and PR. Successful parents and grandparents under this program will receive Canadian permanent residence and may eventually be able to apply for Canadian citizenship.


To be eligible for Family Class sponsorship, the sponsor in Canada must meet the following requirements:


1) The sponsor (child/grandchild) must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;

2) The sponsor must be 18 years of age or older;

3) The sponsor must exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both can be included);

4) The sponsor must sign an undertaking to repay any provincial social assistance benefits paid to the sponsor and accompanying family member(s), if any, for a period of 20 years, if necessary; and If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional undertaking must be signed.

5) Sponsors will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their sponsorship and they must also demonstrate they have met the minimum necessary income level for three consecutive years.

Once the sponsor is eligible he/she need to complete a form as an expression of interest with CIC. This happens usually in the month of January. During the 30 day period CIC will accept these EOI and check for their eligibility. Then they will do a random lottery kind of draw to decide 10,000 eligible applicants who will be given 90 days to complete their application for process.

How can we help ?
Call +91 9998566067
or Submit Below
24 Hour Response time

Important Links

Show Less    Show More